The goal was to build enough prototypes to start an aerospace company. I figured building the simplest rocket that could gather flight data would be a good starting point. We went to launch our vehicle with LUNAR at Snow Ranch. The first flight went well, with the recovery charge effectively deploying the recovery parachute. The second flight, however, experienced a couple of problems.
For the second flight, we used a motor that was appropriately sized for our vehicle, but we did not fully understand the specifications and nomenclature of the ratings. The second motor contained a delay charge which was longer lived than the first motor. This caused the parachute to deploy after the vehicle had collided with the Earth. After inspecting the payload, the SD Card was nowhere to be found. The force from the impact was enough to push the SD Card in to disengage it, and let the SD Card spring shoot it into the parachute. The recovery charge separated the nosecone from the fuselage, and deployed the parachute along with the SD Card. Notice the some of the pins are bent from the impact.
After losing the 2nd flight's data, work was started on avionics which could stream data wirelessly.
Research and designs were started for larger vehicles.